Thursday, December 2, 2010

HOW TO SPOT TRAFFIC-JAM PRONE AREAS IN ACCRA!

This is a light-hearted piece I wanted to share with you. I got a call from a friend about what he’s observed as being synonymous with traffic-jams in Accra: Policemen! I told him people would think I was on a police-bashing spree, because of my previous articles. Upon second thoughts, however, I feel that it ties in with something I’ve observed myself about traffic-jams in Accra. I hope this knowledge proves useful in some way, though I very much doubt it! (there's no where [else] to run, or in this case, drive!)


HOW TO SPOT TRAFFIC-JAM PRONE AREAS IN ACCRA!
Yes, you can actually tell if a road or a junction or intersection is traffic-jam-prone if you notice any of the following:
i. A mobile telephone top-up card vendor
ii. A “pure water” seller, and my personal favourite,
iii. A plantain chips seller!

The icing on the cake is the policeman or the traffic warden directing traffic in the centre of town. There’s always a traffic-jam in town when they are around. Sometimes, there’s actually no traffic-jam until this policeman or traffic warden shows up and then things go from bad to worse!

A case in point is the late night traffic checks. If you’re going to Adenta from Legon from about 9:30pm, I really wouldn’t like to be the one driving your car, because you’re going to be in a jam from Legon Gate, all the way to North Legon! Grrr!

Now, why don’t you put your powers of observation to test and tell me how one can spot other situations/events in Accra?

Looking forward to reading from you! (Okay, this, in other words, means leave me a comment, please!)


If you see a traffic-jam, there is something you should know
You can snack on plantain chips or have a drink of water
You can recharge your cell phone credit
And hope traffic warden makes things better!

3 comments:

  1. i do agree with you on this one, can you believe that in some areas when the traffic lights are not working the flow of traffic is much improved than when they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on, Fish! I have noticed that too. Makes you wonder what the real purpose or benefit of having the traffic lights is, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and insightful piece Nana. I've always maintained that the road networking system in Ghana is just BAD.

    And it's like a dish garnished with poor traffic lights, faulty street lights and of course, hawkers..

    I hope to read more from you and wish you would follow my blog too...

    ReplyDelete